Friday, April 26, 2013

2013/2014 School Year Plans!

It's the time of year when homeschooling moms are getting bored with what they are currently using (and finishing) and are busy planning and getting excited about next year.  Planning homeschooling is one of my favorite pastimes.  I've been planning on homeschooling since Lydia was about 8 months old, well before we knew she was autistic, and I just thoroughly enjoy learning about all the methods available for teaching different subjects.  This is probably a good thing, because Lydia is a very unique learner and I imagine teaching her sisters will be very different from her.  Because I am aware of what is available, I can tailor-fit their resources. 

Doing PreK with her this year has been very encouraging for me.  I've seen what kind of teacher I am and am even starting to get an idea as to what sort of curricula works well with my (and Lydia's) personality type.  Next year I plan on doing Kindergarten with her.  Now, because we live in Arkansas, she actually misses the Kindergarten cutoff by less than a week.  So technically and legally, she'll still be in PreK next year.  None of that really matters, because everything I'm doing is going to be at her level, but after thinking about it, I still think we'll call next year Kindergarten.

At her age and ability level, I plan on having a very heavy focus on the three Rs and memorization.  Everything else will be gravy, but the three Rs and memorization are what I'm most interested in for her at this point.

I will also probably be doing some formalish things with Eleanor too, but I will save that for a later time.

So, without further ado:

Our 2013/2014 School Year Plan!
Math

Reading
Assigned Reading daily

Handwriting
LetterSchool iPad app
Copywork

Spelling

Grammar

Science
Little Sprouts program at the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks
Nature Study
History/Geography
The Core (Continent Blobs)
Various map iPad apps

Memorization
A list of my own making


So there you have it.  I'm pretty excited about my choices and will be writing up a post on them all in more detail later, but for now, this is my plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment