Friday, March 11, 2011

Weekly Report

This week was  a pretty good one, school-wise.  Lydia and I did a unit on the jungle.  Most days we talked about the jungle, our vocab word of the week, "vine," and read our books about the jungle.  The latter was her favorite part.  Lydia would be read to all day long if I was willing.  Her favorite two were Jungle Drums and Bedtime in the Jungle.  We also did a few lessons in Funnix and we did Starfall a few times.  Lydia is now up to lesson 10 in Funnix, although I'm not sure how much is sticking for her.  She asks to do it every day, though, so I figure why not?  Other than that, Lydia has made great strides in counting in the last week or so.  She can count to ten on her own except that she usually forgets three.  But still, given she could only count to two last week, that's pretty good.

Yesterday, we had a fun day at the Tubes at Rock Creek Church, which, as another mom was there put it, are like a McDonald's play place on steroids.  I think the service they do the moms of this community by providing such a fun place to play for free is fantastic.  Lydia still won't climb them, but she did actually go play with everything on the ground level without having to be coerced, which is progress for her.  And she has a very difficult time being social with other children, so it was good to have her around so many for a while.

For the last few days Lydia has been grounded from all books that aren't board books because she's been ripping them on purpose.  We're trying to figure out how to stop that, because she's always been very trustworthy with books before, even when she was very very young.  And she loves books a lot and it is a shame to not let her read them when she wants to.  It broke my heart yesterday when I heard her recite all of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to herself while playing in her room, followed by Go Dog Go.  They are her two favorite books and they were put away where she couldn't have them.  Tyler and I agreed to give her another chance today, though, so we'll see how that goes.

The music study is still going great.  Lydia asks to listen to "Baldy" several times a day, and often asks for Bob Dylan as well.  When the Four Seasons starts, she gets so excited and runs and jumps on the couch.  It's good to see her enthusiastic about classical music!

Other than that, my week has been eventful because I started my study of Latin.  It is going great and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I didn't expect to enjoy it so much, but I'm glad that I am.  I'm working on lesson 7 of Latin for Beginners and it is all sticking very well.  I do need to memorize the endings though, and as memorization is my weakness, I've got to figure out a way to do that well.  Does anyone have any recommendations for that?

2 comments:

  1. Lydia is adorable. We like the bedtime Jungle story too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love that Graeme Base book in your picture! I'm sorry you're having trouble with the ripping books, hopefully it's just a short stage. :(
    Just keep going over those conjugations, you'll get it!

    ReplyDelete