Friday, June 17, 2011

Weekly Report June 17, 2011

This is our last week at my in-laws', and I'm excited to get home. It always throws you off to be away from home, and I'm excited to get back to our own way of doing things with our own things.  That also means that after today, Tyler is free for the rest of the summer, which should be fun!  We still have a few more trips to take, but not for a few weeks, so we should be able to get a lot done and spend a lot of good, quality time together.  One of those trips is to Sea World, so I'm thinking I should get Lydia some books about ocean animals so she can know what's going on.  She loves, and I mean LOVES aquariums, so I think she will have a blast as it is and having a little knowledge in advance will help her enjoy it all the more.

Academics were in short supply again this week, and probably will continue to be so for a while.  We did read several chapters of Anne of Green Gables out loud, and should finish it soon.  I'm reminded how much I love that book.  It was a major part of my girlhood and I think I might still have a little crush on Gilbert.  When I was a girl, he was my dream man.  Tall, dark, handsome, and a doctor.... oh wait!  I guess I married a Gilbert after all!

As I was reading, I noticed that Miss Stacy seems to be heavily influenced by Charlotte Mason.  That or L.M. Montgomery and Charlotte Mason came to similar conclusions about how children should be educated.  I admire Charlotte Mason's methods and hope to use some of them in our home school, although I do tend more towards The Well-Trained Mind in philosophy.  Luckily, they overlap in many ways.  I've been reading Charlotte Mason's books on education over the past while (they are long and involved and you can only read a bit at a time) and they are fascinating.  I definitely felt like I should be having the girls spend more time outside after reading her section about young children spending too much time inside.  Her books also make me wish I had a governess, but such is life!

I'm trying to figure out what to read out loud next, and I'm having a hard time.  However, with my Kindle I seem to be able to download more children's literature than we can get to, so I'm sure I'll figure out something.  We also read Othello and The Taming of the Shrew in Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare.  My 17 year old sister-in-law even listened in for a bit in those!

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, Lydia successfully counted to 18 this week!  Without any mistakes or anything!  I was so proud of her.  We always count the stairs when we go upstairs or downstairs, and she counted them all by herself.

I've been focusing on my history reading this week and am looking for a good version of The Epic of Gilgamesh to read to go along with the section I'm in about ancient Sumer.  I'll probably just end up getting on from the library after we get back home.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about where we are and am excited to continue with this journey we are just starting!

No comments:

Post a Comment