Friday, January 24, 2014

Weekly Report: Days 56-69

School is back on full-swing.  We are behind schedule a bit so we've been careful to do at least 5 days of school a week for the last few weeks.  Everything is going well and it has been handy because Lydia's therapist has taken over some of the schooling duties for me, but I'm still completely in the game.



Reading:
Lydia is through lesson 138 in OPGTR.  She has started silent letters and is rocking them.  I'm pretty proud of her.  She also reached her January Book-It goal of reading 8 books.  Next month I think we are going to go with 10.  Book-It has really motivated her to read.  She is very excited to "reach her goal" every month.  She's been really enjoying Syd Hoff books lately and I actually caught her reading one to herself a little bit before we read it together!

Playing with their "romper-stompers."  They are "so tall!"

Math:
We're still working on counting-on and counting-back, but Lydia's biggest achievement is that she can now read an analog clock.  Her therapist has been working on it with her and she went from not being able to read one at all to now she can read to 5 minutes every time and to the minute sometimes.  She's been doing so well that we bought her a new clock for her room.  She loves it.

Eleanor insisted that she should be called "Super Ballerina Eleanor"

Memorization/ Spelling/ Handwriting:
Spelling and handwriting are still coming along, although fairly slowly.  Lydia did finish learning her lowercase letters, so I guess I need to start doing copywork!  Man, I guess I should come up with a plan for that, huh? Lydia also finished memorizing "The Swing" and has decided to start "The Fisherman" which will be her longest poem yet.

My little engineer practicing her handwriting. (I promise she has better pencil grip than that).

Religion:
We usually read a page from the scriptures every night when Daddy is home before bedtime.  But when Daddy isn't home, I've been reading the girls a section from the Illustrated Book of Mormon.  The girls enjoyed it well enough, but we finished and it was a little above their level anyways.  When we were at my parent's house for Christmas I was able to convince them to let me take home their complete set of Illustrated Stories from the Book of Mormon which have been out of print for a long time.  Although they are a little dated (from the 60s), the girls are loving them and we already finished Vol. 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment