Friday, August 2, 2013

Goals for 2013/2014 School Year

This is another post that is mostly for me, but like usual, if you are interested, go ahead and read it.  As Monday will be the first day of our new school year, I thought it would be helpful for me to write down some goals that I have for the year.  Lydia will be starting Kindergarten and Eleanor will be doing K3.  This year, I will consider the year complete when Lydia completes 170 "days" of school.  I don't have any particular number of days that I want Ellie to finish; school will be completely optional and mostly-child led for her this year.

Math:
Lydia- At a minimum, I'd like to get through Math Mammoth 1A and Miquon Orange, although if we can get through Math Mammoth 1B and Miquon Red, that would be ideal.  Like last year, it will be difficult to predict where she might hit walls with concepts, so it is hard what sort of pace she will be able to set, and completing both of those programs is a lot of work.  I'd also like to have her skip counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s.

Eleanor- If I can have her accurately counting to 20, or 50 as a higher goal, that would be great.  I'd also like to get through MEP Reception which is only 60 lessons, so we'll see how that goes.

Reading:
Lydia- I'm not really sure how far she will get, but my biggest goal for this year is fluency.  I want her to be able to read the words she knows quicker than right now.  A lot of that will be training.  Currently she reads a word and then looks around and I have to get her attention all over again for another word.  I guess as a big goal, I'd like for her to be able to mostly read books like Little Bear or other beginner readers books on her own.  I also really want to be better about doing read alouds with her, so I'm going to try to read her seven books this year.

Eleanor- I'd like her to know all the sounds of the letters and possibly begin some pre-reading towards the end of the year (e.g. "what letter starts the word, bat?").  Depending on how she does, I might start cvc words later, but that's a ways off right now.

Spelling:
Lydia- I'd like her to finish All About Spelling 1, which means she could confidently spell all cvc words and some others.

Eleanor- I have no aspirations for spelling this year.  Except I might teach her how to spell her name?

Handwriting:
Lydia- I want her to finish HWT Kindergarten and hopefully start doing copywork.  With that, she'll learn lowercase letters, which she still needs to work on.

Eleanor- I want her to work on pre-writing activities and focus on control and correct pencil grip.


No comments:

Post a Comment