Friday, July 5, 2013

Memorization Plan for Kindergarten 2013/14

For PreK, I created what I thought was an ambitious memorization plan for Lydia.  She blew me away with her ability to memorize and I ended up needing to add a lot of content.  This year I have created another ambitious plan for Kindergarten.  I have about the same amount of religious content on this list.  Inspiration for them comes mostly from the Articles of Faith (of which there are 13) and the LDS Scripture Mastery list.  The poems I found are longer and more challenging than last year, but they are fun and appeal to her interests.  Last year, poems seemed to be her favorite thing to memorize, so I may even be adding more to that list as the year goes on.

For facts this year, Lydia will be attempting to memorize a 161 point timeline of the world using the Classical Conversations Classical Acts & Facts cards as our list.  I feel like this is especially ambitious, but I am also OK if it takes us more than one year to complete as I feel like having a timeline memorized will prove incredibly valuable for her.  The CC cards are broken into 4 sets by time period, and we'll be working on one set at a time.  For reference, here is a link to our list for last year, here is a link to how and why we do memorization, and here is a link to the CC Cards we'll be using.

We've completed the ones that are crossed out.  The ones that are italicized are being worked on currently.

Religion:
  • Article of Faith 4:  We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
  • Article of Faith 5:  We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
  • Article of Faith 6:  We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
  • Job 19:25–26: For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.    
  • Isaiah 55:8–9: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
  • John 7:17: If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.       
  • Alma 32:21: And now as I said concerning faith — faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.       
  • D&C 25:12: For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.       
Literature


"Autumn" by Emily Dickinson
The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.              


“Dora Diller” by Jack Prelutsky
My stomach's full of butterflies!
lamented Dora Diller.
Her mother sighed. "That's no surprise,
you ate a caterpillar!"


“Knight-in-Armour“ by A. A. Milne
Whenever I’m a shining Knight,
I buckle on my armour tight;
And then I look about for things,
Like Rushings-Out, and Rescuings,
And Savings from the Dragon’s Lair,
And fighting all the Dragons there.
And sometimes when our fights begin,
I think I’ll let the Dragons win...
And then I think perhaps I won’t,
Because they’re Dragons, and I don’t.                                      
                                
               
"Hope is the thing with feathers" by Emily Dickinson
Hope is the thing with feathers                                
That perches in the soul,                                             
And sings the tune without the words,                                 
And never stops at all,                                  
                                               
And sweetest in the gale is heard;                                          
And sore must be the storm                                      
That could abash the little bird                                  
That kept so many warm.                                            
                                               
I've heard it in the chillest land,                                
And on the strangest sea;                                           
Yet, never, in extremity,                                              
It asked a crumb of me.                                               
                        
                       
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know.                                                
His house is in the village though;                                            
He will not see me stopping here                                            
To watch his woods fill up with snow.                                    
                                               
My little horse must think it queer                                          
To stop without a farmhouse near                                          
Between the woods and frozen lake                                     
The darkest evening of the year.                                             
                                               
He gives his harness bells a shake                                            
To ask if there is some mistake.                                                
The only other sound’s the sweep                                          
Of easy wind and downy flake.                                                 
                                               
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.                                   
But I have promises to keep,                                     
And miles to go before I sleep,                                                 
And miles to go before I sleep.                                 
                                               
                                               
“The arrow and the song” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow                                        
I shot an arrow into the air,                                        
It fell to earth, I knew not where;                                            
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight                                 
Could not follow it in its flight.                                   
                                               
I breathed a song into the air,                                   
It fell to earth, I knew not where;                                            
For who has sight so keen and strong,                                   
That it can follow the flight of song?                                       
                                               
Long, long afterward, in an oak                                 
I found the arrow, still unbroke;                                               
And the song, from beginning to end,                                   
I found again in the heart of a friend.                                     
                                               
                                               
“The Swing” by Robert Louis Stevenson
How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!                                                 
                                               
                                               
“The Fisherman” by Abbie Farwell Brown (started 1-16-14)f
The fisherman goes out at dawn                                              
When every one's abed,                                             
And from the bottom of the sea                                              
Draws up his daily bread.                                             
                                               
His life is strange; half on the shore                                       
And half upon the sea —                                             
Not quite a fish, and yet not quite                                           
The same as you and me.                                            
                                               
The fisherman has curious eyes;                                             
They make you feel so queer,                                   
As if they had seen many things                                               
Of wonder and of fear.                                
                                               
They're like the sea on foggy days, —                                    
Not gray, nor yet quite blue;                                     
They 're like the wondrous tales he tells                                               
Not quite — yet maybe — true.                                               
                                               
He knows so much of boats and tides,                                  
Of winds and clouds and sky!                                   
But when I tell of city things, 
He sniffs and shuts one eye!      

Facts and Lists: 
  • Classical Conversations Timeline: Ancient World
  • Classical Conversations Timeline: Medieval World (started 10-31-13)
  • Classical Conversations Timeline: New World
  • Classical Conversations Timeline: Modern World

No comments:

Post a Comment